Assistant General Counsel - Insurance | MPL Product and Claims | Remote
Exclusive Search | Competitive Compensation | Annual Bonus | Superb Benefits Program
The Assistant General Counsel, Insurance is responsible for providing legal advice and counsel related to the Company's Medical Professional Liability insurance products/policies, coverage, and complex claims litigation. This is a high visibility position with Board level interaction. Superb relationship-building skills and professional diplomacy are critical attributes.
This position will partner with Insurance Operations and key stakeholders to support their needs while acting as an advisor to the Chief Legal & Administrative Officer.
Our ideal candidate will possess depth and expertise in Medical Professional Liability insurance with a high degree of emphasis on client relationship development and management. This role requires critical analysis skills, an understanding of the relationship to the organization's stakeholder customers within the Risk Retention Group framework, and reinsurance acumen.
• Provides subject matter expert legal advice regarding policy interpretation based on policy terms and applicable law and develops, prioritizes, and implements revisions, partnering with internal and external stakeholders
• Provides a consistent review of existing policies to ensure they align with the needs of stakeholders and the Company within the compliance/regulatory constraints
• Recommends, develops, drafts and executes clear and concise Medical Professional Liability insurance policy language
• Creates appropriate material and leads the execution of the Policy Review Group framework
• Reviews and completes requests for endorsements
• Analyzes, improves, and maintains stakeholder agreement (governing framework for risk sharing by stakeholders)
• Supports the Chief Legal & Administrative Officer in reviewing, analyzing and recommending modifications to the foundational documents within the Risk Retention Groups framework for their insuring relationships
• Provides formal and informal coverage opinions supporting the Claims function and occasionally retains and manages external counsel for high-value claims
• Supports Claims in coverage determination on complex claims coverage matters
•Assists in large/complex claim litigation and advises Chief Legal & Administrative Officer regarding same, including potential reinsurance coverage/collection matters
• Provides policy and procedure support and provides training and education to claims and underwriting personnel on coverage and emerging trends
• Assists with legal reviews associated with institutional acquisitions of Stakeholder customers
• Conducts policy development, identifying areas for policy language improvement; recommending, prioritizing, and implementing changes on an annual basis, partnering with the Policy Review Group and Underwriting Committee
• Answers policy-related questions from internal and external Stakeholder customers
• Oversees coverage analyses performed by Claims Directors, prepares appropriate coverage and reservation of rights documentation, and answers policy-related questions from internal and external Stakeholder customers
• Acts as a liaison with Medical Professional Liability trade groups to maintain awareness of ongoing government affairs and lobbying efforts
• Juris Doctorate (JD) degree from an accredited law school
• Practicing attorney, preferably with experience in the Northeast/East coast
• Ten (10) or more years of relevant legal experience, in-house preferred
• Experience in Medical Professional Liability insurance required with coverage and product depth
• Medical Professional Liability (MPL) reinsurance products and coverage experience
• Healthcare experience with academic medical centers is a plus
• Excellent communication skills and ability to translate technical legal matters to a non-technical audience
• Demonstrated successful ability to build positive relationships and partnerships within the department, across the organization and with external stakeholder healthcare executives
• Previous captive or self-insurance experience is highly preferred
• Proficient online legal research and computer skills in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel programs
• Ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive information required
• Highly motivated with problem-solving abilities and possesses independent decision-making skills
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff
• This position requires approximately 20% annual travel
About Galileo Search:
Galileo Search, LLC partners with hospitals and healthcare organizations across the United States to identify, recruit and retain the most accomplished professionals and executives in the industry. Our clients include community and critical access hospitals, health systems, academic medical centers, and Fortune 500 corporations. To learn more about Galileo Search, LLC, visit our website at www.galileosearch.com
Are you ready for an exceptional career search experience? Take the first step.
Forward your resume for confidential review or call to discuss this or other available career opportunities. Submit your resume via email for immediate consideration or use our convenient online Galileo Candidate Registry.