Director of Patient Access | Not for Profit Hospital System | Southeastern U.S.
The Director of Patient Access is responsible for administering, coordinating, and reviewing the performance of patient access functions across the organization, including pre-registration, insurance verification, prior authorization, financial clearance, financial counseling, and registration for hospital services. We are seeking a strategic-minded leader with an aptitude for identifying and implementing new and emerging strategies to increase efficiency, improve processes, and enhance the patient experience.
As part of achieving these goals, the Director of Patient Access identifies opportunities to work with leaders in other areas-including corporate compliance, clinical services, case management, and the business office, to ensure regulatory compliance, increase care coordination, and improve process efficiency between departments and entities.
The organization has an established, employee-centric leadership team from the C-suite down.
Located in the heart of the South, listed as one of the ‘Top 25 U.S. Places for Low Cost of Living.’ The city is filled with historical landmarks, performing arts centers, sporting activities, world-class shopping, and a diverse foodie/dining scene to keep even the most active resident fully engaged. With affordable home prices, lower national average taxes, and a more economical cost of living, this is a great location for improving your quality of life. Homes also cost lower than the national average, and this state has some of the lowest property tax rates in the nation.
The area offers colorful autumns, pleasant springs, balmy summers, and mild winters. It has excellent proximity to beach and mountain venues. Snow and ice are rare, and the average low temperatures are above freezing even in the coldest months.
• Reports to a highly supportive and collaborative Vice President of Financial Services
• High visibility role with senior management, physicians, and staff at all levels
• Oversees Registration, Admitting, Pre-Registration, Patient Financial Services, Financial Counseling, Outpatient Registration, ED Registration, Inpatient Registration, Insurance Verification, Centralized Scheduling Department, Guest Services, Cashier and Ancillary scheduling that includes Cath Lab, and Endoscopy
• Works collaboratively with facility leaders to develop Patient Access plans and improvement processes
• Forecasts, plans, and establishes goals and objectives for the department consistent with the overall goals of the healthcare system
• Serves as the ambassador/liaison for patients, managers, directors, administration, and corporate leaders
• Manages all responsible areas to ensure efficiency, accountability, high-quality service, and positive outcomes
• Reviews patient satisfaction results and makes recommendations for improvement in performance and results
• Assumes a lead role in innovation and knowledge sharing and leading practices identification within Patient Access and Revenue Cycle
• Ensures assigned system facilities are compliant with improvement and throughput initiatives
• Responsibilities include monitoring key performance indicators and recommending changes and improvement plans to provide the highest quality of registration and patient experience
• Utilizes leadership development skills to hire exceptional staff and works diligently toward staff retention
• Supports staff by providing the highest quality of instruction and education for patient access processes
• Serves as a subject matter expert for patient access processes and information technology
• Drives the deployment and implementation of new Patient Access strategies, processes, or technologies related explicitly to staffing efficiency and patient experience
• Ensures supervisory knowledge of maintaining policies and procedures in compliance with state and federal regulatory agency’s standards and The Joint Commission guidelines
• Keeps Vice President informed in a timely manner of any unusual concerns, situations, or conditions relative to staff, patients, families, or physicians
• Initiates and participates in the preparation and monitoring of department expense budgets
• Completes other special projects as assigned
• CHAM (Certified Healthcare Access Manager) or CHAA (Certified Healthcare Access Associate) a plus
• Minimum 5 years of comparable patient access leadership experience
• Our ideal candidate will understand insurance coverage, medical coverage, medical charges, managed care authorizations/denials, Medicare, Medicaid, Medicare HMOs, Blue Cross, United Health Care, Humana, Cigna, etc.
• Outstanding communication skills, diplomacy, good listening capability, strong analytical and problem-solving ability
• Well-organized and disciplined, with the ability to manage multiple and changing priorities efficiently
• Technology and system savvy with an excellent understanding of processes, systems, and databases (Cerner and Star Financials software experience a plus)
• Projects competence, credibility, and professionalism
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of hospital staff
• Departmental staff development, team building, and mentoring
About Galileo Search:
Are you ready for an exceptional career search experience? Take the first step.
Forward your resume for confidential review or call to discuss this or other available career opportunities. Submit your resume via email for immediate consideration or use our convenient online Galileo Candidate Registry.