General Counsel | Healthcare System | Maine
Competitive Compensation | Annual Bonus | SERP | Sign-On Bonus
Superb Benefits Program | Relocation Assistance
Galileo Search is conducting a national executive search for General Counsel for one of our preferred Client hospitals in Maine. Our Client is deeply rooted in the community and focused on delivering high-quality healthcare to every patient that comes through their doors.
Combine a fulfilling career with a living experience that includes enhanced quality of life in a town with a strong sense of community, and you have a recipe for success. This vibrant area receives high marks for housing and overall livability; you will find this to be the perfect location for the next step in your career!
General Counsel will also be responsible for building and staffing a department to manage the growing legal needs of the healthcare system while looking for continued opportunities for better fiscal management and discipline of the internal legal function, as well as the use of outside firms. This individual will manage an average annual legal spend of $2.5M as well as the departmental legal staff and budget.
Direct reports include: Director of Risk Management and Director of Legal Services; Administrative oversight includes: Chief Compliance Officer and Legal Services Vendors.
Key Responsibilities and Duties:
• Ensures that legal services are provided to the System in a competent and cost-effective manner including legal services budget preparation and adherence, maintenance, and selection of external legal counsel as necessary, and development of bid and service expectations for legal services
• Responsible for all legal services to the System, assuring compliance on corporate formalities, filing, and regulatory matters
• Functions as a corporate officer and Board advisor, assuring adherence to corporate governance principles, corporation bylaws, and proper record keeping
• Responsible for legal oversight of the System’s contracting including vendor, physician, and employee contracting
• Develops contract formats and drafts and participates in the negotiation of all major contracts
• Works closely with senior administrators to develop, maintain, and advance key strategic alliances between the System and other institutions in conjuncture with the overall strategic plan
• Ensures corporate and regulatory compliance on all ventures and structures ventures to achieve the strategic goals and mission of the System
• Functions as principal legal advisor in corporate and regulatory compliance, participating as a leader in the corporation-wide compliance program, maintaining favorable relations with all relevant federal, state, and local regulatory and investigatory governmental agencies
• Advises senior management and the President concerning compliance inquiries from state and federal agencies
• Provides counsel to Board, medical staff leadership, and management on matters of institutional ethics and treatment protocols including acting as the primary legal advisor to the ethics and institutional review committee, and drafting or approving all ethical policies
• Will draft, maintain and advise on medical staff bylaws in compliance with regulatory and accreditation requirements. Will advise medical staff leadership on matters of credentialing and physician privileges
• After a thorough assessment of the current legal functions, services and cost, create and develop a plan and strategy for the department to include a contemporary model of legal services and structure of staff to support the ongoing legal needs of the organization
• Create the process, policies, and procedures for accessing legal services within the System
• Oversee the enterprise risk management program consistent with the System’s strategic plan and goals
• Develop a plan and strategy for the risk management department to include a contemporary model of services and structure of staff to support the ongoing risk management needs of the organization
• Assess and review all current contracts with outside legal firms to ensure cost-effectiveness and efficiency; Where appropriate, renegotiate current contracts and negotiate all future contracts for maximum benefit to the System
• Maintain a consistent process for physician contract development and negotiation
• Participate in the development of a corporate-wide training program to familiarize staff with the System’s legal services and process for use
• Membership or admission to the Maine Bar in good standing
• Currently practicing or eligible to practice law in the State of Maine
• Ideally 10 years of progressive in-house corporate or healthcare legal practice experience in either a complex corporate or hospital system setting in a competitive market
• Demonstrated expertise in a broad range of legal issues including contracts, fraud, and abuse, privacy/confidentiality, employment, physician relationships, litigation and compliance issues, as well as other general corporate matters
• An understanding of the health care environment and legal issues unique to that environment
• Establishes a high level of credibility among peers as a leader in the healthcare legal practice field and experience in working with boards
• An ability to analyze, organize, prioritize, and make critical time-sensitive decisions
• Demonstrated high levels of initiative, innovation, and collaboration
• An ability to communicate (both written and verbal) with people under a wide array of circumstances
• Proven ability to work well with senior operating executives, leveraging strong intellectual, conceptual and analytical skills
• Ability to exercise judgment and diplomacy while addressing sensitive or challenging issues with internal or external stakeholders
• Ability to work effectively in teams and autonomously in a fast-paced environment
• Takes an active involvement in furthering professional development through professional organizations
• Highly proficient in MS Office: Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
About Galileo Search:
Are you ready for an exceptional career search experience? Take the first step...
Forward your resume for confidential review or call to discuss this or other available career opportunities. Submit your resume via email for immediate consideration or use our convenient online Galileo Candidate Registry.